Thursday, April 4, 2013

Frogger (Day 3)

 
 
I know it was driving my husband crazy to sit there and wait for me to write down a long drawn out answer or to explain something.  So when I started talking on Day 3, I could not wait to tell him (via text of course, but only because he was at work).  And when I say talking, I mean a soft, phlegm in your throat, straining sort of talk.  I made a conscious effort to do this.  I was tired of writing things down too.  So when I sent him a text saying that 'I'm using my words' (which is what we always tell our 5 & 6 years old to do) he writes back to me and says... ribbit.  Can you believe that!  I just didn't know that he would know I would sound like that.  How did he know!?  I guess that's how I sounded right after the surgery.  It's okay though, it made me laugh. 
 
I could be crazy for thinking this, but I feel like talking is helping to work the muscles back there and is helping me drink fluids a little better.  Because after I started talking I felt like I was able to take sips throughout the day.  Very small sips, but hey, it's progress! 
 
I have to say, things went pretty smooth during the night, and this was a good day for the most part.  The hardest part seems to be taking the meds.  They taste pretty nasty and the Lortab burns!  Showers feel really good and help to loosen some of the mucous and I am still blowing my nose.  I put the tip of my tongue to the middle of the roof of my mouth.  For some reason that's how I can get that phlegm to go from my throat area and out my nose.  I'm still eating the same sort of foods, but I have added prune juice to my liquid consumption.  Yes, the pain medicine that I am taking puts a hault on the elimination process.  Without going into too much personal detail, I am still working out this kink.  
 
So far, my schedule looks something like this:

  • Take pain medicine
  • Eat to avoid an upset stomach
  • Nap, watch tv, play on phone, just something to pass the time
  • Watch the clock to see when I can take my next dose (not really because I'm in pain, but because I'm scheduling my meals around my pain medicine)
Is it bad that I like being in my pajamas all day long!  I forgot to mention before now about brushing teeth.  I had not read too much about this in my pre op research.  I do remember when I used to get horrible tonsilitis that I was never able to open my mouth very wide.  And sure enough, I am having that problem after the surgery.  I am not able to brush my back teeth because I'm too paranoid I will bump the wound.  I do the best I can and try not to get too close when I talk to anyone.  I already have a bad taste in my mouth, and not being able to brush well does not help! I thought about chewing some gum today, but I might wait another day or two.  For dinner I added mashed potatoes to my menu. 

The big lesson learned today - Showers and talking make me feel like a human being again!
 
 
 
  

No comments:

Post a Comment